Guides - Guide
Ultimate Hikes are the exclusive operators of multi day guided walks on the famous Milford & Routeburn Tracks. The tracks are New Zealand's most iconic of the Great Walks, and along with the Greenstone Track, showcase the majestic nature of Fiordland and Mt Aspiring National Parks. We combine the opportunity to inhabit these great locations and challenging hiking tracks with the comfort of private lodges and unique hospitality in the most remote of locations. Over the season we employ a range of people who work together to make our guided walks the most memorable experience for our guests.
Position Description – Guide
To provide day-to-day guidance to our guests on track and in the lodges. Guidance ranges from health and safety advice as it relates to the track conditions each day, relating interesting information about flora and fauna, geography and history, Te Ao Māori, and general interaction with guests whilst hiking. They will also provide general assistance in the lodges and work with lodge staff to ensure the comfort of guests. They are expected to work to a high level of customer service in line with company standards.
Working on the Milford, Routeburn or Greenstone Tracks and staying at the remote lodges on track. Work periods start and finish in Queenstown and typically range from three to nine days.
The role reports to Senior Guides and the Guide Manager.
This position carries no purchasing authority.
Key skills and responsibilities
- Meeting the group on arrival and making introductions.
- Carrying out all guide duties and staff requirements in line with company standards as detailed in guide manuals and the Team Handbook.
- Relating to and easily communicating with a wide range of people and personalities.
- Providing guests with a level of customer service that exceeds their expectations in a positive and friendly manner.
- Organising, supervising, informing, assisting, motivating and directing guests in a friendly manner while ensuring they understand.
- Assess situations as they arise and take the best course of action to resolve them, working closely with colleagues and adapting quickly to changing conditions.
- Advising on and ensuring the safety of guests and that activities are conducted in a way so as to minimise risk to the group, yourself and others at all times.
- Ensuring that equipment is safe and in working condition.
- Responding to emergencies by providing first aid assistance and taking appropriate further action if required.
- Approaching each working day in a positive and enthusiastic manner.
Health and Safety Requirements
- Guides must comply with the requirements of the Safety Management System. Guides have the authority to:
- Halt an activity if you deem it to be unsafe.
- Implement the Emergency Response plan.
- Recognise & report any hazards.
- When handling food, guides must comply with the requirements of the Food Control Plan.
Guides must be able to demonstrate all or some of the following:
- Be physically fit and enjoy tramping/hiking.
- Have a current first aid certificate.
- A good background and/or interest in NZ natural history and flora & fauna is an advantage.
- The ability to motivate, lead, direct and assist others to achieve required goals safely and to time constraints.
- Confidence in public speaking.
- Enjoy being part of a team, take initiative and be willing to go the extra mile to help someone or get a job done.
- Motivation to learn, to pick up new skills, improve yourself and enjoy your working environment.
- Completion of a National Certificate in Tourism or equivalent.
- Fluent in a foreign language, preferably Japanese or Korean.
- Experience working for Ultimate Hikes or an affiliated Trojan Holdings company.
- Have a great attitude, is a team player and willing to learn new skills.
Ultimate Hikes are guardians of the environment we operate in. We are leaders in the safety and education of visitors to the region and we are responsible for the health, safety and wellbeing of the people who live and work there on our behalf.
We take this commitment very seriously and pledge that everything we do will be in keeping with our own Tiaki Promise - caring for people and place.
- Employment Indicator Seasonal
- Job Start Date Monday, 16 October 2023
- Job End Date Friday, 12 April 2024